Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Selber and the Practitioner

One of the things that I appreciate about Selber’s Multiliteracies for a Digital Age is that he has the practitioner in mind throughout the text, referencing several times how he himself has applied notions of functional, critical, and rhetorical literacy to technology within the classroom, but I wonder if parts of the text are just another example of “lore” being passed off as research. Granted, Selber points out several times and in various contexts that he wants teachers to view his suggestions “...as an imperfect heuristic rather than as a rigid prescription for action” (183), so perhaps it is a rather moot and arbitrary point I’m trying to put forth (since the majority of the treatise is really attempting to contextualize how the approaches of written and oral communication – i.e. literacy – also apply to digital mediums). Nevertheless, I can’t help but think of how I might utilize some of Selber’s approaches in my ENG 103 classrooms, though (as Nikki mentioned in her post) I feel as though what Selber describes is somewhat ambitious, if not unrealistic (and I doubt the examples he provides occurred in a freshmen composition classroom). It’s hard enough to get freshmen to question, well, anything, let alone the political implications of interface design, yet I understand (and value) why such problem-posing questions are pedagogically necessary.

2 comments:

sccrfn1 said...

I felt the same way, that is, I do not think that he has taught much of what he speaks of in a first year writing class. Although I think that what he does say, in some ways, could apply in first year writing classrooms, however, I find his comments like, “I will probably only be able to answer about half of their technical questions and that when it comes to the other half we will need to find the answers together,” to be indicative of some of my own experiences. (202)

Carolyn A. Jones said...

If first year composition students learn to function within specific online domains relevant to writing such as Blackboard and obtaining library resources, I feel that I have done my part in the beginning steps of computer literacy. Some students do come into class quite computer savvy and know more than I do about systems and how to navigate them, others are quite illiterate. The gulf is wide not only in computer skills but also in writing skills.
Carolyn