Monday, March 17, 2008

Krause Version 1.0 and 2.0

I thought Steven D. Krause’s article, “Where Do I List This on My CV? Considering the Values of Self-Published Websites,” to be rather intriguing. He makes a convincing argument for all journals and scholarly periodicals to move toward a digital form, allowing the author to make certain additions and revisions as necessary. However, I wonder if any changes (no matter how minute) would need approval from the editors of the publication...? It seems that such a practice might be rather time-consuming, though not necessarily costly in terms of “updating” pages. If this method of editor approval is in fact unreasonable, then I can definitely understand Krause’s point about having a self-published scholarly website with updated versions of articles, reviews, presentations, etc. (though linking back to the original and giving proper credit/citation to the journal where the work first appeared). Also, the “New Examples” of self-published sites (such as wikis, blogs, and content management sites) were quite interesting. I am planning on focusing on wikis as my “Geek of the Day” presentation and to see that there are valid educational ways of using such a medium (with things like online textbooks) that also utilize an interface students already have a rapport with (yes, that dreaded wikipedia), is rather appealing. Speaking of which, does anybody know of any sites (besides perhaps wikinotes) that involves wikis and education?

Krause assertions about blogs as more of an invention device that eventually leads to either scholarship or Scholarship also rings true for me. I feel that any number of these blog postings could yield some sort of germinal ideas for a seminar paper or article. More importantly though, the blog enables me to retrace my steps, my progression, and see possible links that might not be as apparent if I was simply taking notes in a word processor or notebook (not to mention the intellectual community that the blog creates by linking to everyone else’s pages). Good stuff.

1 comment:

sccrfn1 said...

I do know that Moxley and Meehan's article in Kairos talks about wikis and teaching. You might want to check out their suggestions. I posted the link on my blog.